Defining your target user can be tricky. Trying to target everyone is never a good idea. In order to successfully generate content for your target audience, you need to find out who that is!
Some things to consider:
- Income level
- Education level
- Marital or family status
- Ethnic background
For example, my target user, here at http://www.kurtsietz.com, is 30-40 year old men and women earning more 60,000 per year, College Graduates, married, business owners of any ethnic background.
Once you’ve defined your user, think about them on a more personal level, start to define:
Now that you’ve completed this step, decide if you are targeting the correct user:
- Are there enough people that fit my criteria?
- Will my target really benefit from my product/service? Will they see a need for it?
- Do I understand what drives my target to make decisions?
- Can they afford my product/service?
- Can I reach them with my message? Are they easily accessible?
In short, don’t glaze over this process. Creating the right content for your user can be what makes or breaks your website. Before you publish anything, ask yourself: “Will my target users find this useful, will my visitors read this post?”.